Whether or not you’ve experienced an affair, knowing how to deal with one can teach us to be better in general at handling trust in relationships as it relates to sex, romance, flirting, etc. As a result, this episode will be helpful to anyone who is currently in relationship.
In this episode, I share an overview of what you need to know about handling affairs. You’ll learn the three steps to dealing with an affair, as well as why an affair doesn’t need to be a death sentence for the relationship.
You can Subscribe and Listen to the Podcast on Apple Podcasts. And be sure to leave us a Rating and Review!
“You can’t gloss over the feelings that arise in the midst of an affair. You have to be honest with them; you have to be honest with how intense they can be.” – John Howard
Three Steps to Dealing with an Affair:
- Don’t freak out:
- Get lots of social support
- Avoid making big decisions at first
- Get professional help:
- Make sure your therapist is trained in helping couples through affairs
- Avoid therapists that would take a moralistic perspective on the issue
- Learn what you need to know to process this and ignore the grisly details:
- Major details
- Why it happened
- What this provided for the partner that was involved in it
“If you find out about an affair, that first week or so is really just time to get a lot of support from friends, from family members. It’s really about regulation, comfort, and support .” – John Howard